The purpose of the Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is to conduct quality action-oriented research that will inform policy and improve practice in order to increase the accountability and impact of humanitarian and development programs for Afghans. Fundamental to the purpose of AREU is the belief that its work should make a difference to the lives of Afghans. In this way, the AREU seeks to be part of a process of change that will significantly improve the quality, impact and accountability of assistance efforts.
The Finance Manager will be based in Kabul will report to the Director. The Finance Manager will be responsible in providing leadership in the overall financial management of AREU operations. He/she will ensure financial compliance with donor regulations and reporting requirements as well as review monthly financial reports, identify compliance issues, assist in budget preparation and monitor actual expenses.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Financial Accounting
- Financial management
- Closing Fiscal year
- Working on Annual Tax Return to MoF
- Budgeting/Budget tracking
- Financial Reporting to respected donors
- Reconciliation of accounts/supporting documents compliance with IFRSs/ISA system
General responsibilities include:
- Supervise accountancy procedures: Filing of documents, allocation of expenses, vouchers registration, balance checking, etc.; Verify and compile monthly accounts from each base; Communicate accounts on a monthly basis; Manage the presentation, circulation, filing and archiving of accounting and financial documents in conformity with AREU procedures;
- Treasury: Open/close bank accounts on the authority of the Director; oversee the management of bank accounts: Follow up transfers, check balances, check authorized signatures;
- Supervise the management of safes and cash: Available amount, balance checks, security instructions; Assess monthly cash-flow needs for projects and ensure fund availability; Manage money transfers, advances and amounts in circulation, whilst defining payment procedures (bank transfer, cheque, cash etc.);
- Commitment of expenditure: Set up and formalize procedures for the commitment of expenditure, conform to AREU procurement guidelines: Ensure that signatures of authorized staff members are collected; Ensure that procedures are adhered to in terms of contracts and payments; Ensure that proofs of purchase are valid (contracts, orders, bills, invoices, delivery receipts etc);
- Develop budgets for project proposals according to AREU/project needs and Donor requirements; draft financial reports (mid-term and final) respecting contractual deadlines; Respect and follow Donor procedures for each Grant agreement in terms of financial reporting.
- Monitor and follow up compliance of budget: Develop tables necessary for financial monitoring and for budget follow up within the organization; Analyse gaps between planned budgets and actual expenses; Anticipate financial risks; Calculate and provide AREU Project Managers and Director with the monthly operating and project costs analyses;
- Manage AREU Reserve Funds in accordance to the AREU procedures. Prepare periodical financial reports for the AREU board with the cooperation of Director. Be focal point of any financial matters for the Board and for the AREU management team.
- Draft the structure and ToRs of the finance department according to the organization development; Oversee the work of the team and undertake appraisals of directly supervised colleagues; Ensure the training and capacity building for finance team members in order to increase the level of technical ability and skills within the department; Enhance Internal financial and accounting procedures and develop relevant management procedures within the team; Facilitate improvement of information flows within the department and with other departments;
- At least five years accounting/financial management experience with non-profit International NGOs.
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration or any other relevant fields is required. Master Degree in relevant field is highly preferred.
- Good spoken and written Dari, Pashto and English skills
- Knowledge of computers MS-Office, Office Automation including (SAGE ACCPAC and QuickBooks Accounting Software)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong administrative/office management skills;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive.
CLOSING DATE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a deadline of 17 July 2017, and an anticipated immediate start.
Please apply by sending a CV/resume and a cover letter outlining how your experience relates to the skills and experience in the qualifications above to email@example.com. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.