Research and Donor Coordinator
The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is a premier, independent and impartial research organization based in Kabul. It envisions an Afghanistan where policy decisions are made on the basis of evidence, open debate and widespread public awareness in the belief that this will better reflect the priorities of Afghans. Information about AREU is available on AREU’s website: www.areu.org.af.
The Research and Donor Coordinator will report to the Research Manager regarding all research-related matters, and to the AREU Director regarding donor relations. S/he will liaise between research and communications on all donor related requirements of the project. S/he will also be responsible for reporting and communicating with the donors.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Director in relation with donors;
- Collaborating with the Research Manager to define the programme’s scope and direction, as well as to develop the conceptual and methodological frameworks and detailed implementation plans for AREU’s proposed studies;
- Contributing to the broader objectives of AREU, including:
- providing research training to members of the Research Department or others
- Leading or participating in other Research Department activities, such as seminars, briefings and ‘study groups’.
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements and timely submission of donor reports;
- Work closely with project focal points to increase their engagement on forthcoming opportunities with AREU’s existing and potential Donors.
- In consultation with the Research Manager ( and other technical people in the research department), write core funding and project proposals; follow up discussions/meetings/proposals submitted and make sure that AREU complied of needed requirements and come up with high quality proposals;
- Conducting full inventory of all ongoing research projects – both core-funded and those funded by individual project donors and systematizing the submission of technical and financial reports;
- Coordinating independent researchers as required by the Research Manger, and ensuring the quality of draft research reports;
- Managing independent desk reviews and individual research projects as requested by the Research Manager.
- Preparing annual report for the organization.
- Preparing first draft of quarterly report for the organization.
- A Master Degree in the social sciences or a related discipline (PhD Degree is an advantage)
- Excellent organizational, coordination and management skills;
- Previous exposure to research work and donor relations especially familiarity with donor reporting requirements;
- Proposal and narrative report writing experience;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Ability to work harmoniously and respectfully with people from different cultures;
- Excellent judgment and discretion; and
- Experience of working in an Islamic and/or conflict/post-conflict and/or South Asian or Central Asian context
- Computer skills, including word-processing; email; power-point; excel; internet searching; file-management (preferably MS Office)
Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto, of Afghanistan and the aid community, and experience with administrative systems and published research work are highly desirable.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive based on AREU salary scale.
CLOSING DATE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with an anticipated immediate start. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Qualifying candidates should send their application with an updated CV/resume and a cover letter which outlines how your experience relates to the skills and experience in the Person Specification above to firstname.lastname@example.org
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.