Research and Donor Relations Coordinator
The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is a premier, independent and impartial research organization based in Kabul. It envisions an Afghanistan where policy decisions are made on the basis of evidence, open debate and widespread public awareness in the belief that this will better reflect the priorities of Afghans. Information about AREU is available on AREU’s website: www.areu.org.af.
The Research and Donor Relations Coordinator will report to the AREU Director. S/he will liaise between research and communications on all donor related requirements of the project. S/he will also be responsible for reporting and communicating with the donors.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Director in relation with donors;
- Collaborating with the Research Manager to define the programme’s scope and direction, as well as to develop the conceptual and methodological frameworks and detailed implementation plans for AREU’s proposed studies;
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements and timely submission of donor reports;
- Working closely with project focal points to increase their engagement on forthcoming opportunities with AREU’s existing and potential donors;
- In consultation with the Senior Research & Communications Manager (and other technical colleagues in the research department), writing core funding and project proposals; following up on discussions/meetings/proposals, submitting and ensuring that AREU complied with relevant requirements, and identifying/drafting high-quality proposals;
- Conducting full programmatic inventory of all ongoing research projects – both core-funded and those funded by individual project donors and systematizing the submission of technical and financial reports;
- Coordinating independent researchers as required by the Research Manager, and ensuring the quality of draft research reports;
- Preparing the annual report for the organization;
- Liaising with the Finance and Administration Department to ensure that correct procedures are followed in sending invoices to donors and acting as the AREU focal point for finance-related communication
- Preparing the first draft of quarterly reports for the organization.
- A Master Degree in the social sciences or a related discipline (PhD Degree is an advantage)
- Excellent organizational, coordination and management skills;
- Previous exposure to research work and donor relations especially familiarity with donor reporting requirements;
- Proposal and narrative report writing experience;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Ability to work harmoniously and respectfully with people from different cultures;
- Excellent judgment and discretion; and
- Experience of working in an Islamic and/or conflict/post-conflict and/or South Asian or Central Asian context
- Computer skills, including word-processing; email; power-point; excel; internet searching; file-management (preferably MS Office)
Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto, of Afghanistan and the aid community, and experience with administrative systems and published research work are highly desirable.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive based on AREU salary scale.
Send a cover letter, resume, and a one-page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 25 March 2019. Please write “Research & Donor Relations Coordinator” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.