09 Nov AREU Director
The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is a Kabul-based independent research think tank established in 2002 with the assistance of the international community in Afghanistan. AREU’s mission is to inform policy and practice by conducting high-quality, evidence-based research and actively disseminating the results, and to promote a culture of research and learning.
Reporting line and Supervision
The Director will directly work under AREU Board of Directors supervision and reports frequently to the Board of Directors on his/her actions.
The AREU Director will be responsible for guiding the overall strategic direction of AREU and overseeing the work of the teams assigned for Research, Communications and Advocacy, Operations/Administration and Finance in order to achieve the organization’s goals. He/she will also be responsible for representation of AREU and is expected to maintain effective relationships with donors and other partners.
In addition to an understanding of the complex political and development challenges facing Afghanistan, the Director will be expected to demonstrate a clear vision of how AREU might respond to these within the organization’s mandate. The AREU Director is based in Kabul, Afghanistan, and reports to AREU's Board Chairperson or Co-Chairs.
- Strategic Planning and Programme Development
Oversee the annual review and updating of periodic strategic and operating plans, in collaboration with managers and research staff; lead programming and development for AREU activities in line with these plans while exploring opportunities for growth; work with AREU research teams to identify priorities, develop ideas and support the formulation of projects; develop partnerships with Afghan and international organizations.
- Policy/Advocacy and Organizational Representation
Ensure that AREU maintains a constructive dialogue with central and local authorities, donors, UN agencies, NGOs and the media, and other relevant actors as a means of contributing to policymaking; represent AREU at relevant inter/national meetings and conferences and facilitate the presentation of research by AREU staff, as appropriate; ensure that AREU's activities have appropriate media coverage, both nationally and internationally; support the Communications and Advocacy team in developing dissemination strategies for research findings and publications. Monitor the quality of translations of publications (Pashtu, Dari, and English), interact with potential donors to ensure AREU’s sustainability.
- Organizational Management
Ensure strict conformance with AREU's operational procedures and policies; in collaboration with colleagues, monitor the security situation and assess procedures to ensure staff security on an ongoing basis. Work with and oversee the administration and finance teams to ensure compliance with AREU and donor financial and grant requirements, including reporting; strengthen budgeting and budget monitoring as required.
- Human Resource Management and Staff Development
Ensure that AREU's organizational structure and practices align with its goals and programmer, through timely recruitment of suitably-qualified staff; devise, secure funding for, and implement appropriate training and staff development plans, especially of female personnel working in research; supervise and evaluate the performance of direct subordinates; ensure that AREU's HR policies and procedures are fit for purpose and ensure that they are adhered to, particularly in regard to gender balance. .
- Resource Mobilization and Partnership Building
Engage AREU’s partners, including research institutions, think tanks and universities (international and national) in policy discussions and joint approaches to developing national research capacity, to the extent feasible. Liaise with potential donors and oversee the formulation of funding proposals that are in line with the relevant strategic/operational plan. Oversee the work of AREU staff assigned to manage donor relations and assist in development of concept notes and proposals.
- A PhD Degree in the social sciences or a related discipline is required (PhD is preferable);
- At least Seven years of field research/research management experience in developing country contexts, particularly using qualitative methodologies, in terms of both design and implementation;
- At least Seven years of project, people and budget management experience;
- A publication record in both academic and policy oriented outlets;
- Experience of representing an organization, and of making presentations;
- Previous exposure to research work and donor relations especially familiarity with donor reporting requirements;
- Proposal and narrative report writing experience;
- A record of successful fundraising is highly desirable;
- Strong team building and change management skills, as well as strong communications and representation skills, including excellent spoken and written English;
- Ability to write well in English for an audience of policy-makers and practitioners;
- Good mentoring and training skills;
- Direct practical experience in Afghanistan would be a distinct advantage;
- Ability to work in fast-changing and politically sensitive environment;
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills and the ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience of working in an Islamic and/or conflict/post-conflict and/or South Asian or Central Asian context.
- Extensive knowledge of and familiarity with the current policy environment in Afghanistan, including the work of government institutions, donors, NGO, s media, and other members of civil society.
- Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto desirable; and
- Willingness to make a minimum commitment of two years.
LOCATION & Working Hours
- The position is based in Kabul but may require some travel in provincial areas and abroad.
- Working hours for this post needs to be flexible and requires full time dedication and extra working hours due to deadlines and project commitments.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position will be determined commensurate with experience, taking into consideration AREU’s overall salary scales.
CLOSING DATE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Please apply by sending a CV/resume and a cover letter outlining how your experience relates to the skills and experience in the qualifications above to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject title of your email should be “AREU Director Position” Closing date for receiving the applications is 30 Nov, 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Women are highly encouraged to apply.